Guys, if you want to stand the best chance of succeeding at your marriage, here is some marriage advice for men to think about:
- Take responsibility — You need to own at least 50% of the responsibility for the problems in your marriage. Nothing is all her fault, no matter how easy it would be to put it all on her.
- Be okay with disagreements –– Arguments and disagreements are part of married life, so don’t let them make you think that your marriage is in trouble. Just remember to fight fair, and try to come out of those arguments better than before!
- Physical contact is key –– If you want to have a happy marriage, you’ll need to make it a point to up the affection. Kissing, hugging, and touching each other releases oxytocin, a chemical that creates a stronger bond between you. NEVER allow yourself to fall into the quick hug or kiss mindset, but try to make the contact good EVERY time.
- Give thoughtful gifts –– It may be hard to come up with a good gift, but don’t resort to buying jewelry, spa days, or vacations every time you don’t know what to get her. Instead, invest some time and effort into coming up with awesome gifts you know she’ll love. It’s the thought that counts more than the amount of money you spend!
- Treat symptoms, not people –– If there is a problem, see the things you and your spouse do as a symptom of the problem. They are not the one who has a problem, but THERE IS a problem between you. Your goal should be to deal with the symptoms, not the person!
Read Part 2 for more awesome marriage advice for men like you…